- Re-elected McGowan Labor Government’s major package of job-creating initiatives
- Plan to create jobs, training opportunities and support vital services like schools and hospitals
- Full Plan for Geraldton available at www.markmcgowan.com.au
Premier Mark McGowan has unveiled the Plan for Geraldton, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government’s comprehensive package to keep Geraldton strong by creating jobs and training opportunities, supporting the local economy and investing in important services like health and education.
Over the past four years, the McGowan Labor Government has invested more funding into regional WA, more than any other government in history. The McGowan Government guaranteed the future of Royalties for Regions, as promised, but also significantly increased funding for the regions across all areas of government.
The Plan for Geraldton will see that investment continue, through commitments in tourism, schools, roads, TAFE, hospitals and community facilities.
The McGowan Labor Government has made TAFE a priority. As part of the highly successful Lower Fees, Local Skills initiative, TAFE fees have been slashed by up to 72 per cent, so more people can get quality training.
As part of the $5.5 billion WA Recovery Plan, the McGowan Labor Government undertook the biggest TAFE capital works program in history, including $2 million for Central Regional TAFE’s Geraldton campus to transform a 50-year-old workshop into six learning spaces for creative industries.
A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will continue the strong investment in TAFE and measures that create better career pathways for young Western Australians by:
- upgrading equipment across the State’s TAFEs giving students access to more industry standard and state of the art equipment, including x-ray technology for Agriculture, 3D printers, drones and more;
- supporting students to access school based apprenticeship programs, and prioritising STEM courses that have been evaluated by industry as suitable for school students; and
- ensuring local flexibility for schools to negotiate the most suitable courses and delivery arrangements with their local TAFE colleges and local industries.
The Plan for Geraldton will continue the McGowan Labor Government’s strong investment in job creating projects to drive tourism, including $3 million at Drummond Cove to manage coastal erosion, create a protected recreation area for families and construct a boat launching facility.
A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will continue its strong investment in quality education in Geraldton. The Plan for Geraldton includes:
- New STEM buildings at Champion Bay Senior High School and Geraldton Senior High School;
- Investment to ensure every primary school student across the region has access to a great science education.
The McGowan Labor Government is committed to ensuring Western Australians have access to high quality healthcare, regardless of where they live. The Plan for Geraldton includes:
- Stage 2 upgrades to the Geraldton Hospital, including planning for the co-location of St John of God private hospital on the site;
- Continued investment in the Patient Assisted Travel Scheme (PATS); and
- Expanding the Community Paramedic model across the State, including in Geraldton.
After delivering a record investment in regional roads in its first term of government, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government will oversee another significant investment into regional roads, including:
- Widening the road to accommodate a right turn pocket at the intersection of Brand Highway and West Bank Road, Greenough;
- A further $52 million investment into the now $507 million Regional Road Safety Program to invest in repairing, rebuilding and road safety treatments on tens of thousands of kilometres of country roads
- An additional $14.8 million across the State towards the $251.8 million Regional Roads Upgrades program; and
- Investing $5 million to increase the number of Truck Rest Stops on our major roads.
To help Western Australians stay active, healthy, and connected with their local community, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government will:
- Contribute funding to undertake a major upgrade of the Geraldton Basketball Stadium, providing more courts for the Geraldton Amateur Basketball Association;
- Implement the Geraldton Cycling Network Expansion Project.
As part of the McGowan Government’s record $28.8 billion pipeline of work, a number of major infrastructure projects are underway in Geraldton. The WA Buy Local policy will ensure these projects will deliver ongoing jobs for locals over the next few years.
Major projects funded or underway include the $82.3 million Geraldton Health Campus redevelopment, the $18 million Geraldton Aboriginal Short Stay Accommodation Facility, the $10 million Wharf 4 upgrades at Geraldton Port, the $12.3 million Greenough Regional Prison upgrade, the $10 million visitor infrastructure upgrades at the Abrolhos Islands, the $8.7 million Geraldton Marine Finfish Nursery, the $3 million Geraldton fast speed ferry jetties, and more than $1 million of upgrades to Allendale, Rangeway, Bluff Point and Geraldton primary schools.
The Plan for Geraldton includes a number of additional commitments to ensure Geraldton remains strong, long into the future. To read the full plan, visit www.markmcgowan.com.au
Comments attributed to Premier McGowan:
“A re-elected WA Labor Government will keep Geraldton strong.
“Creating jobs and training opportunities for Western Australians will always be my number one priority, and the Plan for Geraldton will ensure our major investment into Geraldton will continue.
“My government has invested more funding into regional WA than any government in history, and has delivered upgrades to schools, TAFEs, hospitals, roads and tourism.
“Our strong budget management and Plan for Geraldton will ensure the region’s future is stronger than ever.”
Comments attributed to WA Labor Candidate for Geraldton Lara Dalton:
“Premier Mark McGowan had WA’s back during the COVID-19 pandemic, and kept WA safe and strong.
“The Plan for Geraldton will deliver jobs for locals, a strong economy, top-quality health and education, and guarantee a bright future for our community.”