- $3 million committed to continue the highly successful Contemporary Music Fund
- Grants available to performers to produce and promote their music
- Helping diversify and support the economy, creating local jobs
A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will deliver an additional $3 million to continue the highly successful Contemporary Music Fund, guaranteeing support for WA musicians and the local industry.
The Contemporary Music Fund was established by the McGowan Labor Government in 2018 – delivering an election commitment – to support local artists to produce and promote their music. It consists of $2 million in initiatives to support WA’s live music industry, and a $1 million grants program available to local musicians.
The $1 million grant program offers grants for local musicians to assist with marketing, promotion, performance, recording and production costs.
Grants are available in two categories, depending on the amount requested. Music artists seeking up to $15,000 in funding can apply throughout the year, and for applications between $15,000 and $60,000, three major grant rounds are offered throughout the year.
In the McGowan Government’s first term of government, 629 people were supported through the program, which included 108 projects funded for $2,231,644.
The Contemporary Music Fund also includes $2 million in targeted initiatives to support WA’s music industry, including:
- Resources, training and educational tools to be developed by Safer Venues WA to improve inclusivity and personal safety in venues for audiences, artists and industry professionals;
- Targeted mentoring programs including Girls Rock!;
- Funding for WA musicians to attend BIGSOUND; and
- An emerging artist seed fund and all ages program.
Research by WAM (West Australian Music) showed that the contemporary music industry generated around $1 billion to the State’s economy and created around 3,000 direct jobs each year.
Comment attributed to Premier Mark McGowan:
“Western Australia has a vibrant local music scene that we know provides a huge boost to the State’s economy and creates thousands of jobs.
“The Contemporary Music Fund has been incredibly popular since it was introduced in 2018. It has helped countless performers to record and promote their music and increase their exposure both nationally and internationally.
“A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will guarantee the Fund continues in the future, supporting local artists, venues and staff.
“We know the local music sector has been hit hard by COVID-19, and the continuation of the Contemporary Music Fund will help the industry to recover stronger than ever.”