- Re-elected McGowan Labor Government’s major package of job-creating initiatives
- Plan to create jobs and training opportunities and support vital services like schools and hospitals
- Full Plan for Collie-Preston available at www.markmcgowan.com.au
Premier Mark McGowan has unveiled the Plan for Collie-Preston, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government’s package to keep Collie-Preston strong by creating jobs and training opportunities, supporting the local economy and investing in important services like health and education.
Over the past four years, the McGowan Labor Government has invested more funding into regional WA, more than any other government in history. The McGowan Government guaranteed the future of Royalties for Regions, as promised, but also significantly increased funding for the regions across all areas of government.
The Plan for Collie-Preston will see that investment continue, through commitments in tourism, schools, TAFE, hospitals and community facilities.
The McGowan Labor Government has made TAFE a priority. As part of the highly successful Lower Fees, Local Skills initiative, TAFE fees have been slashed by up to 72 per cent, making it more affordable than ever.
As part of the $5.5 billion WA Recovery Plan, the McGowan Labor Government undertook the biggest TAFE capital works program in history, delivering state-of-the-art training facilities all around the State.
A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will continue the strong investment in TAFE and measures that create better career pathways for young Western Australians by:
- Upgrading equipment across the State’s TAFEs, giving students access to more industry standard and state of the art equipment, including x-ray technology for agriculture, 3D printers, drones and more; and
- Ensuring local flexibility for schools to negotiate the most suitable courses and delivery arrangements with their local TAFE colleges and local industries.
The Plan for Collie-Preston outlines a range of economic development initiatives to continue the McGowan Government’s work to diversify the local economy and create jobs, including:
- An additional $20 million for the Collie Industry Attraction Fund, to attract new large industry, and build on the success of Collie’s economic diversification;
- An additional $2 million towards the South West Advanced Manufacturing Hub feasibility study; and
- Investment in the development of project-ready land and the establishment of projects on Industrial Land Authority (ILA) estates across WA.
The McGowan Government has invested $400 million into schools across regional WA. A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will continue its strong investment in quality education in Collie-Preston. The Plan for Collie-Preston includes:
- $7 million for a brand new design and technology block at Eaton Community College;
- $1 million for upgrades at Donnybrook District High School; and
- Ensuring every student across the State has access to education in STEM and Science. This will mean a major state-wide investment in STEM and Science facilities and equipment, including even more access to a great science education for every primary school student across Collie-Preston.
The McGowan Labor Government is committed to ensuring Western Australians have access to high quality healthcare, regardless of where they live. The Plan for Collie-Preston includes:
- Continued investment in the Patient Assisted Travel Scheme (PATS), including increasing the subsidy from $60 to $100 per night, with increased escort eligibility for vulnerable and disadvantaged groups, including women travelling to give birth; and
- Expansion of the Community Paramedic model across the State, including in Collie-Preston, to ensure the region has professional, paid paramedics, increasing the reliability of country ambulance services.
After delivering a record investment in regional roads in its first term of government, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government will oversee another significant investment of $763.8 million into regional roads, including:
- An additional $14.8 million across the State towards the now $251.8 million Regional Roads Upgrades program;
- A further $52 million investment into the now $507 million Regional Road Safety Program to invest in repairing, rebuilding and road safety treatments on tens of thousands of kilometres of country roads; and
- Investing $5 million to increase the number of Truck Rest Stops on major roads around the State.
To help Western Australians stay active, healthy, and connected with their local community, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government will:
- Invest $400,000 for the replacement of four light poles and new LED lighting to 100lux at the Collie Recreation Ground.
As part of the McGowan Government’s record $28.8 billion pipeline of work, a number of major infrastructure projects are underway in Collie-Preston. The Buy Local policy will ensure these projects will deliver ongoing jobs for locals over the next few years.
Major projects funded or underway include the $12.2 million Collie Hospital Stage 2 redevelopment, $10 million Collie Adventure Trails, the $852 million Bunbury Outer Ring Road, $85 million Bussell Highway duplication, $54.7 million Australind Railcar replacement, $15 million Australind Senior High School upgrade, $6 million Donnybrook and Districts Sporting and Recreation Precinct, $4.5 million Collie Tourism Readiness projects, $3.35 million Wellington National Park expansion, $13.4 million Koolinup Emergency Services Centre, $3 million Eaton Bowling and Social Club upgrades, $2 million Collie Mineworkers Memorial Pool, $1.5 million Collie Police Station upgrades, $1 million Donnybrook Police Station upgrades, $1 million Collie Roundhouse restoration, $450,000 Dardanup Central Bushfire Brigade, $400,000 Collie Recreation Ground upgrades and the Social Housing Economic Recovery Package, including maintenance, refurbishments and new builds for approximately 260 homes in the South West.
The Plan for Collie-Preston includes a number of additional commitments to ensure the region remains strong, long into the future. To read the full plan, visit www.markmcgowan.com.au
Comments attributed to Premier McGowan:
“A re-elected Labor Government will keep Collie-Preston strong.
“Creating jobs and training opportunities for Western Australians will always be my number one priority, and the Plan for Collie-Preston will ensure our major investment into Collie-Preston will continue.
“My government has invested more funding into regional WA than any government in history, and has delivered upgrades to schools, TAFEs, hospitals, roads and tourism.
“Our Recovery and Jobs plan will ensure Collie-Preston bounces back stronger than ever.”
Comments attributed to WA Labor Candidate for Collie-Preston Jodie Hanns:
“Premier Mark McGowan had WA’s back during the COVID-19 pandemic, and kept WA safe and strong.
“The Plan for Collie-Preston will deliver critical infrastructure and programs right across the region, ensuring jobs for locals, a strong regional economy, and quality health and education services.”