- Re-elected McGowan Government commits $2 million to commence Stage 2 upgrades at Geraldton Hospital
- Funding to support planning for the co-location of St John of God at Geraldton Health Campus
- Builds on the McGowan Government’s $82.3 million upgrades underway at Geraldton Health Campus
WA Labor Candidate for Geraldton Lara Dalton and a re-elected McGowan Government will invest $2 million to support the co-location of St John of God at Geraldton Health Campus.
Co-locating private and public services at Geraldton Health Campus will deliver many benefits for patients and hospital staff.
By locating the services side by side, patients who choose to access a mix of public and private services will benefit.
Having both services in close proximity will make the sharing of equipment easier, patient transfer smoother and deliver a higher quality of care for the people of Geraldton and the wider Midwest.
The co-location will also improve the sustainability of St John of God Geraldton to ensure the long-term presence of both public and private health services in the region.
This commitment builds on the McGowan Government’s investment in health services in Geraldton, including:
- The $82.3 million redevelopment of Geraldton Health Campus, including an expanded emergency department, a new intensive care unit co-located with a redeveloped high dependency unit, a new integrated mental health service, a reconfigured main entry, essential engineering service upgrades and the redesign and expansion of car parking;
- A new 64 slice CT scanner at Geraldton Health Campus; and
- $250,000 towards a new mammogram imaging machine in Geraldton
Comments attributed to Health Minister Roger Cook:
“This $2 million investment will allow for planning work to be carried out towards the co-location of public and private health services at Geraldton Health Campus.
“Co-locating services would have many benefits for patients, staff and the region’s wider health system. Patients can more easily use a mix of services, equipment can be shared with greater ease, and the sustainability of the private service will be bolstered.
“This investment builds on the McGowan Government’s $82.3 million redevelopment of the Geraldton Health Campus to provide better healthcare for people in Geraldton.”
Comments attributed to WA Labor’s Candidate for Geraldton Lara Dalton:
“I am so pleased to be part of the McGowan Labor team which is delivering millions of dollars of health upgrades for the Geraldton community.
“On top of the major $82.3 million Geraldton Health Campus upgrades, this commitment will begin the process to co-locate public and private services in the one location – putting patients first and ensuring quality local healthcare for our community.”